From the article: The Best Greek Island - What's Your Favorite?
Everyone wants the perfect Greek island for their vacation in Greece - but which one is that? Note: While I'd love to have you register with my site, it is not necessary to register or log in to post. Share your favorite!
- It is the most beautiful island ever, paradise on earth. Beaches are beautiful and clean, beyond comparison
- —Guest vasilis
Hydra - Beautiful w/no cars!
- I'll admit that I first went here when I was 20 in 1975 and fell in love with a beautiful islander but I went back with my 20 yr. old daughter recently and it still has it's charm. The lack of cars is just a big plus for me -- you literally walk back in time. This is a small island near Athens so if you want a lot of history, go elsewhere but if you want a truly unique Greek experience go here. Avoid prime holidays because this is close to Athens so it's a popular weekend spot. Orthodox Easter is really special here with people with candles walking down the ancient stone steps to a variety of small chapels. Rent a small house or a b&b. Santorini looks pretty but I just don't like the crowds of people that are inevitable with a really popular destination. Hydra is not frequently mentioned by tourists but definitely a well-kept local secret.
Kefalonia-My Favorite Greek Island
- I have been to several of the "favorite" Greek islands but Kefalonia always wins my heart and logic. It has several options for going there by ferry from day to night, by car or by boat and plane. Also it has about twenty sandy beautiful beaches to choose from with good access. The waters are clear, the food wonderful, the local wine Robola light and refreshing, the people friendly and the prices reasonable. There are direct flights to the island from England and Germany for those who have already been to Athens. Join me next year and you will never forget it.
- —Guest Helen Steele
The Best Greek Island is
- Santorini is my favorite Greek Isle. The sunsets are the most beautiful I have every seen and the view of the caldera is fantastic.
- —Guest Karen
- Ikaria is the only island that I've been to in Greece but I think it'll always be the best even if I see others.
- —Guest Guest
The best Greek island
- By far the best Greek island and possibly the least well known is Evia (Euboea). Simply paradise for beeches and mountains. Anyone who wants a truly Greek experience should visit Evia.
- —Guest Martin
skiathos is amazing
- we got married on the beach here in 2007. we stayed at the agean suites 5 star highly recommend. The island is full of lovely sandy beaches. Loads of dirt tracks down to hidden beaches up in the pine covered hills. small enough to discover in a week. All the wedding party had a fab time and all said they couldn't wait to visit again. Lovely people and food. The main town small but bustling and enchanting. book now......
- —Guest skiathos
I Love them All!
- The one I feel most connected to is Santorini...there is just some some kind of energy there (maybe its the volcano) and the views are stunning. I have also been to and loved: Crete, Rhodes, Tilos, Patmos, Leros, Lipsi, Mykonos, Koufinisia, Naxos and Corfu. All of them are beautiful in their own way and I fell in love with them all. My goal is to try to hit every inhabited Greek island before I die! The best thing about the Greek Islands is how cheap accommodation and food is compared to other places in Europe! Your money stretches so much farther and there are some really quaint pensions to stay in for 30-50 euros a night. And it always is sunny whenever I am there (except for Corfu can sometimes be overcast).
- —Guest Nadi
Best greek island
- I hate islands. and greece has more than anyone in the owrld, as near as i can tell. They are all TINY tyrants. Gimme the mainland. You will find me in athens ,drinking iced tea, and the occasional shot of ouzo. I will be dining on seared pork, and greens. It will probably be on a thursday.
- —Guest chicogringo
- Everyone's obsessed with the Greek islands - they are pretty wonderful, but why not visit Parga on the Ionian side, opposite Paxos. It's the little mainland resort that thinks it's an island! I've been going for 25 years, it reminded me of Skiathos in many ways but is so much prettier, very cosmopolitan, lots of beautiful beaches, lovely walking, places to visit, including two nice towns, Igoumenitsa and Preveza. Easy to fly to Corfu and get a ferry across or direct to Preveza from the UK. Tourists go again and again because they are enchanted by Parga - go on, give it a whirl and if you get homesick for the islands while there, there are daily boat trips to Paxos, Antipaxos and even Corfu once a week, another Greek jewel. The Greeks visit in droves, say no more!
Skyros - where dreams are made.....
- I vote for Skyros. Its enchanting - not too commercial. Beautiful beaches, wildlife, goats, sheep, shepherds, walking, mountains, tavernas, small shops, a village life in the Chora, small port, 2 museums, fantastic views, friendly inhabitants, traditional, arts and crafts, steeped in history and no crime. 5 policemen, 8 taxis! A ferry boat from Kymi on Evia or fly from Athens 2 or 3 times a week. Diverse accommodation - reasonable, exciting and tranquil. Wonderful sunsets - what more could you want?!
- —Guest stephanie hike
- The beautiful island of Kalymnos is my favourite island, where I love to spend time with my wonderful family. I live in Australia so trips to Greece don't come to often and are greatly treasured
- —Guest Lise Lampadarios
- Favourite Greek Island Little Halki is a wonderful respite from a noisy world!!
- —Guest janet stenner
Skiathos gets my vote
- I've visited Thassos, Kefalonia, Levkas, Corfu, Paxos, Antipaxos, Skopelos, Alonnissos - all very beautiful, but something about Skiathos hooked me on my first visit in 2001. It has something for everyone - a hot club scene in Jul/Aug, beautiful beaches, alleyways to get lost in above pretty Skiathos town, excellent food, lively bars, quiet tavernas for a beachside view of the sunset, great yachting amenities, deserted pine forests, birdlife, monasteries, hills with views across to the mainland, Skopelos, Tsougria, good ferry and Seacat connections to Athens, Volos, other islands - but it's the people of the island who will get to you most. Down-to-earth, kind, proud, traditional in their values but tolerant of ours, generous - nothing's too much trouble and it isn't just because tourists represent their income. It comes from the heart - but you must give back in kind. When you do, you will understand the power of Skiathos and return again and again. I was there 4 times last year ...
Best Greek Island EVER
- Skiathos..... Until you have been there personally - you will not understand the magnetism of this island. Unlike the more "modern" Greek islands, Skiathos is authentic Greek. Lush pine forests, 64 glorious beaches, unlimited watersports, friendly Greeks... and ofcourse Greek food! The only Greek island still as quirky as ever...
- —Guest Fionnlagh
1-15 of 45Next